Wow yourself and your guests with these simple yet elegant (not to mention delicious!) appetizer recipes. Each one is inspired by Mediterranean cooking but with a Texas twist. We’ve paired what we consider the perfect selections of our cold pressed extra virgin olive oil with each recipe, but don’t be afraid to mix things up and have fun.
Texas Olive Ranch Sweet Basil Caprese Bites
8 oz Whole Milk Fresh Mozzarella Balls
8 oz Thinly Sliced Sopressata
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup chopped fresh basil
Texas Olive Ranch Sweet Basil Olive Oil
Texas Olive Ranch Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
Using the toothpicks, skewer a ball of mozzarella, a slice of sopressata, and a half of a cherry tomato until all ingredients are used. On your chosen serving dish, drizzle a spot of Texas Olive Ranch Sweet Basil Olive Oil for each caprese skewer. Dot each spot of olive oil with the Texas Olive Ranch Balsamic Vinegar of Modena. Once all skewers are plated, lightly drizzle the Texas Olive Ranch Sweet Basil Olive Oil and sprinkle the chopped fresh basil evenly. Instruct guests to swirl the caprese skewers in the olive oil + balsamic layer before they bite and watch their faces light up when they do.
Texas Olive Ranch Smokey Mesquite Patatas Bravas
1.5 – 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, quartered into bite size pieces
Texas Olive Ranch Mesquite Olive Oil
1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp garlic powder + more for potatoes
1 6-oz. can sun dried tomato paste
2-3 tsp hot sauce
1/2-cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
½-cup chopped thyme
To prepare the patatas –
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Soak quartered potatoes in very hot water for 10-15 minutes. Dry thoroughly and then add to a baking sheet with 2-3 Tbsp Texas Olive Ranch Mesquite Olive Oil and a generous sprinkling of sea salt and garlic powder. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- After baked, drizzle potatoes with extra teaspoon of Texas Olive Ranch Mesquite Olive Oil, Parmesan cheese, and thyme.
To prepare the bravas sauce –
- Heat 1 Tbsp Texas Olive Ranch Mesquite Olive Oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and 1/2 tsp salt and sauté for 7-8 minutes. Turn heat to low.
- Add paprika, garlic powder, cayenne and stir. Then add sun dried tomato paste, hot sauce and 1 1/2 cups water and stir. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until simmering and the flavors are well blended. Reduce heat if it begins to bubble too vigorously. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added more hot sauce, sea salt and garlic powder.
- Let sauce cool before pureeing in a blender or food processor until smooth.
You can either serve the potatoes with toothpicks; letting guests dip them in the bravas sauce or you can drizzle the sauce over the entire batch of potatoes and serve in portions on plates. Either way, you’ll totally impress your guests with your Texas take on this classic Spanish dish.
Texas Olive Ranch Roasted Garlic Crostini with Whipped Feta and Tomato Relish
1 French baguette
Texas Olive Ranch Roasted Garlic Olive Oil
24 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 tsp Greek seasoning
8 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
6 oz. Feta with Garlic & Herbs
1/2 cup Kalamata olives
Fresh dill and extra feta for topping
To prepare tomato relish —
- Combine cherry tomatoes, Texas Olive Ranch Roasted Garlic Olive Oil, and Greek seasoning.
- Mix well and then place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Broil on low for 10 minutes, then mix and broil on high for 5 minutes. Remove tomatoes from the oven, add chopped Kalamata olives, and let cool. Can store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To prepare the whipped feta —
- In a stand mixer using the flat beater blade, add room temperature cream cheese mix on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add the feta with garlic and herbs to the bowl and beat for an additional 30 seconds. Can store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
To prepare the crostini —
- Preheat broiler on low.
- Cut french baguette in 1-inch slices.
- Brush each cut of baguette with Texas Olive Ranch Roasted Garlic Olive Oil
- Broil for 5 minutes and remove from oven to dress.
- Slather with whipped feta, top with tomato relish, fresh dill, and crumbled feta. Repeat until you’ve finished the French baguette. Serve immediately.
Texas Olive Ranch Mesquite BBQ Roasted Chickpeas
5 oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
Texas Olive Ranch Mesquite Olive Oil
2 tbsp dry BBQ seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Drain chickpeas and dry on a towel.
- Mix dry chickpeas with a light drizzle of Texas Olive Ranch Mesquite Olive Oil and 2 tbsp of the Turkish spice blend to coat evenly.
- Place chickpeas in a single layer on a lined baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes before shaking the pan to turn chickpeas. Roast for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool and serve.
Texas Olive Ranch Herb Garden Bread Dip
Texas Olive Ranch Hill Country Herb Garden Olive Oil
Several cloves of garlic, chopped
Crushed red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper
- The amount you’ll need of each ingredient depends on how many people you’re feeding and how much dipping they do. Use your best judgment and remember—you can always make more!
- Pour plenty of Texas Olive Ranch Hill Country Herb Garden Olive Oil into a clean, seasoned iron skillet.
- Toss the garlic into the pan and let it roast in the oil over medium heat until it begins to brown.
- Remove the oil from the heat and stir in other seasonings.
- Transfer oil into serving dish or dishes. Pair with a crusty white bread that has been warmed in the oven.